The key outcomes of the project will be:
- a geo-spatial gazetteer service suitable for extension to full service;
A crtical part of this third phase will be to investigate how to incorpoate historical data into the gazetteer. Outcomes from this work will be:
- a report on procedures adopted to model historic data component of gazetteer;
- a report on procedures adopted for version managing gazetteer content;
- a compendium of selected historic and contemporary geographies;
- a timeline of selected historic geographies;
- a gazetteer with historic data content implementing the above procedures.
Performance issues will also be investigate further and resullting in the production of:
- reports on the alternative architectures tested and benchmarking results for a representative range of gazetteer queries under different loading;.
- a report detailing the preferred architecture required to support a shared service with justifications and indicative costs;
- a recommendation on the geoXwalk gazetteer architecture capable of supporting shared service mode.
The geoparser will be fully evaluated and result in the following outputs:
- a geoparser web service for automated parsing of external resources;
- report on the parsing methodologies employed, indications of the accuracy and reliability of the geoparser;
- illustrative use cases deploying the geoparser service.
Trialing of the gazetteer will include:
- at least two JISC services integrating geoXwalk to enhance geographic searching;
- SWOT Evaluation report on integrating geoXwalk into existing JISC service and potential for further integration.